Hello Sunshine! And where have you been all my life? We’ve had an unprecedented period of rain for the past two weeks and we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief that the weather is finally warm and sunny. I’m soaking in the sun and thinking about beachwear and thrilled to be featuring a guest writer on my blog to talk about adorable beach cover-ups. Brandon Leibowitz is a well known writer and fashion enthusiast from California and he is giving us the inside track to all the fashion-forward trends those So Cal babes are wearing this summer.
6 Chic Beach Cover-Ups
Hello Connecticut in Style readers! Summer isn’t here just yet but the weather is getting warmer. You’re probably getting ready to spend your days at the beach, basking in the sun. It’s the best time to start stocking up on stylish beachwear such as bikinis and cover-ups. If you plan on arriving at the beach looking as chic as ever, you need to grab some flattering and in-trend cover-ups. So here’s a brief guide that will give you a good idea as to what type of cover-up styles you could wear:
1. Kimono – Most fashion conscious women will own at least one kimono. This stylish item looks great for everyday wear when you’re channeling a boho Mother Earth vibe or even an edgy rocker chick look. One of the most popular ways kimonos are being worn today is over a shorts and tank top ensemble with grungy booties. They work perfectly as a cover-up for any outfit, so you can throw it over any swimsuit and you’re good to go.
Source: Cha Cha the Fashion Genius
Kimonos come in varying styles – long, short, silky, fringes, prints, lacy, and more. If you own a suede kimono with fringes, it’ll work great as a hippie flower child costume for Halloween. But for the beachside, go for mid-length lacy or chiffon florals. Fringes are optional and totally depend on your personal style.
BEACH BUNNY PRINTED COVER UP KIMONO – On sale for $44.22
2. Playsuit – Playsuits are classy and versatile, making them one of the top wardrobe essentials for women. So while you wear it with sandals for a casual brunch, you can also dress it up with a fancy jacket and heels for evening wear. Wear it over your swimsuit or bikini to cover-up for the beach.
CHEESECLOTH PLUNGE PLAYSUIT WHITE – $47.60
You have plenty of options when it comes to prints and styles as well. Playsuits are popularly available in a tube top style. You can wear this over a strapless bandeau bikini or a string bikini, so the entire outfit looks perfect. Otherwise, you can also get one in spaghetti string, which will be ideal for everyday wear as well. In terms of print, go for graphic floral or pinstripe nautical. You can even get one that combines both patterns, turning it into a floral stripe. It might be a good idea to get a playsuit in white or cream which will be more versatile for non-beachwear.
3. Sundress – Sundresses are cute, fun, and stylish. The name says it all – these dresses are perfect for the warm summer days. You might have been wearing this classic item for years and you can definitely wear it as a beach cover-up. They’re convenient because once you have them on, you can just drop by at the mall without looking like you’re beach bound.
Source: Just the Design
Again with sundresses, you have plenty of options in terms of material and print. Maybe you could get one in this season’s hottest patterns such as gingham or eyelets. You could even channel the off-shoulder trend by wearing an off-shoulder sundress over your swimwear. Look for minimalist prints and lightweight cotton material, so you won’t go wrong with this item. Throw on your favorite sunglasses and comfy slippers for the perfect beach look.
4. Maxi dress – Maxi dresses have been a huge trend for some time. They look great with anything from sandals to boots depending on how you wish to style them. You might have worn this ultimate summer staple many times. This year, take them to the beach as a cover-up for your swimsuit.
Since a regular maxi dress might look too dressy for the beach, opt for one in a sheer, see-through material. As for colors and patterns, you can go with your gut and choose one that grabs your attention the most. Light, creamy colors may be perfect but darker colors with graphic floral prints could also work just fine.
5. Tunic – Tunics have been a popular item for beach cover-ups. You might have worn them many times yourself. However, there have been several updates in the trend. Instead of a floral-printed tunic, look for stripes and geometric prints. Otherwise, you can also go for Greco embroidery for a classy look. If you still wish to wear a floral tunic, opt for something in bold and graphic versions.
Source: Fashion Gum
As for materials, you have a range of options. Maybe you could get one in mesh or crochet or you could get a chiffon tunic with macramé embroidery. Silk would make for comfort and style, so you could even look for one that you can wear off the beach as well.
6. Sarong – Who could forget the all-time beach cover-up classic? Sarongs are always in-trend for cover-ups. But this year, ditch the bright colors and the tropical flowers. Look for one in a more subdued hue like cool navy or sky blue. As for the prints, look for something inspired by Chinoiserie or Greco embroidery.
So now you have several ideas about how you can pick a chic cover-up for your beach look. Maybe you already have these items in your closet and never thought to use them as a cover-up. Which one’s your favorite?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Brandon Leibowitz, is a seasoned writer at Value Village, global thrift retailer. He is also a contributor to many social media blogs like social media examiner, businesss2community and many more. His knowledge and dedication made him popular on Social Media as a strong influencer.
Gravatar ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
6 Chic Beach Cover-Ups