Undoubtedly, one of the sublime pleasures of a dinner party is sitting at a beautifully set table. I’m fortunate to have many talented friends who feel the same way I do and now whenever we are at each other’s homes, the table is part of the experience. When we attend a party at a friend’s home, one of the first things I do is sneak a peek at the dining table. I’m not being nosey, I just simply cannot wait to see it! Typically, I have a “Whoa, this is amazing” reaction and once we are seated, I take the time to absorb everything. There is no question that the atmosphere is elevated by the tablescape. I’ve picked up a few tips on setting a stylish table that I wanted to share and step by step photos on how to pull it all together.
- Whatever design you are after, abundance is key. Have a lot of elements, flowers and layers – don’t be afraid of mixing pieces, it’s actually what makes it interesting.
- Table linens are totally optional, you can leave them off for a casual look. Even if you elect not to use a tablecloth, always use real linen napkins. We use them daily and it is no big deal to toss them in the wash with the whites.
- Candles, votives or little fairy lights are a must for charm and warmth.
- As you are creating your design, walk around the table and make sure that it looks pleasing from every seat.
- Make place cards, even the simplest name card will make your guests feel very special and set the mood.
- If you assign seats, ensure that your guests have the best view. Our dining room and kitchen adjoin and I always make sure that my husband and I face the kitchen.
- Serve a small glass of dry champagne or prosecco as soon as everyone is seated. One of my favorite sounds is that of a cork popping! Champagne pairs well with everything and I also like to think that it is a nice little palate cleanser before the entrée.
My Autumn Inspired Tablescape
Here is how to pull it along together:
Start with a blank slate.
Add the bigger elements first.