10 Really Cool Life Hacks
| thread a necklace through a straw to keep it from getting tangled |
Thanks to Pinterest, I stumbled across Life Hacks a few years ago and became fascinated with them. Every time I saw a new hack, my reaction was either “Where have you been all my life” or “Why didn’t I think of this?” I’ve assembled ten of my favorite life hacks that I use again and again. There’s nothing mind-blowing on this list (except for the trick with the chocolate chips). But, they have saved me time, money and aggravation and make life a little easier. Enjoy!
10 Really Cool Life Hacks
- When I travel, I like to pack jewelry to complement my outfits. What I don’t like is arriving to a clump of tangled necklaces. The solution is to feed one end through a straw and secure the clasp.
- If you’ve run out of ideas for what to cook for dinner, Supercook will come to your rescue. Just enter in the ingredients you have at home and Supercook will instantly provide you with links to all the recipes that contain those ingredients.
- Avocados have to be perfectly ripe for me to enjoy them. I’ve come home one too many times with an avocado that I can’t use. If this has happened to you, try this: Remove the stem of the avocado and check the color of where the stem used to be. Look for a light color, a dark color means that it is overly ripe.
- Looking for a universal stain remover? Simply combine these two common household items to make your own very effective stain remover. Find an empty spray bottle. Add one part Dawn dishwashing liquid with two parts of hydrogen peroxide and shake to combine. Spray the stain and let it sit for a little while before washing.
- Traveling and comparing prices? If you want to get the cheapest airline tickets, use your browser’s incognito mode. Prices go up when you visit the site multiple times.
- Have you found handfuls of chocolate chips that have fallen out of the bag and onto your shelf? Me too! Save a plastic bottle and its cap. Cut about two-thirds of the bottle off, keeping the top. Slide the bottle top over the opening of the bag of chocolate chips, then fold the top of the bag back over the bottle top and screw on the cap. You will be screwing the cap over the plastic bag, but it is thin enough to still grip the threads on the bottle (see below photo).
- Take a selfie when your hair looks good. The next time you get your haircut, show them your photo!
- This one is for safety. If you are parked in a parking garage, or anywhere for that matter, take note of the vehicle parked next to your car’s driver’s side. If it is a van with no windows, stop and walk around and get in on the passenger side of your car instead. Someone in a van can slide open the door and pull you in quickly and close the door. Since the van has no windows, no one will see what’s happening inside to be able to help you, even in broad daylight.
- A study says that the key to a good night’s sleep is to go to bed at exactly 10:00pm, having a cup of chamomile tea before hand and wearing pajamas. Another tip is to get into the habit of reading in bed. It will tire your eyes and trick your body into thinking it is tired which makes falling asleep easier. Sweet dreams.
- Can’t decide if you are hungry? Ask yourself if you want an apple. If the answer is no, you are probably bored and not hungry.
What about you? I’d love to hear some of your favorite hacks, tips and tricks!